Crawford University Library became operational immediately the University started in 2005. It is a central academic organ with the primary aim of supporting all academic programmes of the University as well as facilitating research by members of the University community and its immediate neighbourhood.
The Library, since its inception has acquired over 60,000 titles cutting across all academic disciplines particularly on sciences, social sciences and humanities where the University programmes are mainly focused on.
Crawford University Library is seated on a two floor ultra-modern edifice with over 600 seating capacity. Aside the main library we also have college libraries in our colleges, which are:
- College of Natural and Applied Science (CONAS) Library
- College of Business and Social Sciences (CBSS) Library
- College of Postgraduate studies Library.
The main library and the three college libraries are fully air conditioned.
These college libraries are serviced and maintained by the main library.
LIBRARY OPENING HOURS
The Library opens on:
Monday – Friday: 8am – 9pm
Saturday: 10am – 4pm
SECTIONS WITHIN THE LIBRARY
Presently Crawford University Library has four main sections. These are:
- Collection Development Section
- Technical Service Section
- Readers Service Section
- Reprographic Section.
Cross Section of New Arrivals
This is the bibliographical records of all the library resources in a computerized form. It provides access to the rich collections of the library. Two computer work stations are dedicated for this purpose. They are located within the two floors in the readers’ services section. Access to the library holdings are through these work stations, otherwise locating resources by merely browsing through the shelves may amount to waste of time and efforts.
THE ELECTRONICS LIBRARY
The e-library provides access to 42 desktop computers for easy access to online resources with high speed internet connectivity. This gives students and staff access to electronic books, journals articles, online newspaper, online lectures, seminar presentations and access to collections of other cooperating libraries and institutional repositories of over 200 renowned universities across the continents of the word.
ONLINE PLATFORMS AVAILABLE IN THE E-LIBRARY
- Science Direct
- Doaj etc.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OFFERED BY THE LIBRARY
The services offered by the Library are:
- Library OrientationThis unit is located on the first floor of the library. It is equipped with large screen LCD Television. It provides access to educational videos, online lectures, documentaries, CNN, Aljazeera, TBN, National Geographic and more. It was designed to mix recreation, relaxation and learning. New staff and students are given library orientation that enlightens them about the services available to them in the library, the organization of books and journals we processed using the library of Congress Classification Scheme (LC), so that they can easily retrieve relevant information from the shelf.
- Photocopying servicesThis unit is located on the first floor of the library. It is equipped with large screen LCD Television. It provides access to educational videos, online lectures, documentaries, CNN, Aljazeera, TBN, National Geographic and more. It was designed to mix recreation, relaxation and learning. Faculty, staff and students are allowed to photocopy relevant materials in the library.
- E–Library ServicesThis unit is located on the first floor of the library. It is equipped with large screen LCD Television. It provides access to educational videos, online lectures, documentaries, CNN, Aljazeera, TBN, National Geographic and more. It was designed to mix recreation, relaxation and learning. Users are allowed to search, read and download relevant information from the various databases available in the Electronic Library.
- Referral ServicesIn order to obtain information not available at Crawford University Library, staff, faculty and students are given referral letters to other suitable libraries where they can obtain the information.
- Circulation servicesStudents and staff are allowed to borrow books for a specified period of time, which may be renewed.
- Teaching GST 109New students at 100 level are taught GST 109 which is Use of Library Study Skill and ICT. This introduces the students to effective and efficient use of library information sources that will facilitate their scholarship and learning at Crawford University.
- ChristianitianaThe Library has a section called Christianitiana. The library stocks in this section Christian religious books, motivational books and publications of the Apostolic Faith Mission. This section is open to student Pastors, Pastors, Reverends, in addition to Crawford University Community who are doing serious research work on the Christian denomination. It is an effort of the Library to encourage spirituality and promote godliness in our country.
- Reference servicesThe library has a reference section which consists of encyclopedias, dictionaries, manual, handbooks, etc. this section is open to all users of the Library. However, documents in this place may only be consulted and not borrowed out of the library.
- Serials ServicesThe Library has a good collection of serials, both local and foreign which are accessible to the users both in print and online.
Lateef Elizabeth Bukunola (Mrs.)
Ag. University Librarian